Chateau-vacant is composed of three French artists; Yannick Calvez, Lemuel Malicoutis, and Baptiste Alchourroun. Although they have differing stylistic techniques they share one thing in common; and that is their desire to create computer-free art. With Chateau-vacant they have come together to celebrate their alternative approach to illustrative design.
Fantastic works by Hell’o Monsters.
Decadent self-portraits by artist Kimiko Yoshida.
Sometimes when I’m sitting real still at my desk staring into the sky this video is secretly playing in my head.
Dear Cult Of Decay,
For those of you who just joined the cult and those of you who haven’t seen us in a while, we wanted to give you a refresher and keep you in the loop on all the changes we made since 2009.
As you know Beautiful/Decay started as a magazine featuring art & design. We had a traditional advertising model like most other mags on the stands. After publishing a successful 26 issues (issues A-Z) we decided to shake things up in order to bring you a superior product.
Starting in 2009 we re-launched Beautiful/Decay to have all the benefits of traditional magazine subscribership, while taking the form of an expanded, limited edition, more voluminous publication.
In keeping with the spirit of our independent DIY philosophy, we decided to break the mold of traditional magazines and change the way we do business. In this economy, most publications are either going out of business or watering down their content to appease advertisers. Rather than conform to the publishing industry’s new rules, we’ve decided to create our own business model that allows us to flourish and increase the quality of our content.
One thing we’ve always disliked about the mainstream print industry is that it can be wasteful. Newsstands throw away all unsold magazines, averaging a 40-60% waste rate. In keeping with our commitment to staying green, Beautiful/Decay will instead send issues straight into the hands of subscribers, rather than dumpsters.
Here’s what the new B/D looks like:
• No traditional advertising
• 50% increase in page count, meaning 164 pages of pure, unfiltered content
• Features now have double the page space, with more full-color images & articles
• Articles now run 16-20 pages, providing some of the most in-depth coverage of emerging artists available today
• Released in limited edition format of only 1,500-2000 copies, each one hand numbered.
• Each issue comes with a limited edition collaborative artist project ranging from inserts, stickers, posters, to original artwork.
• Presented in new format & size, including French flaps and multiple printing processes within
• Released 3 times a year (once every 4 months)
We’re looking forward to 2011, where we’ll keep doing things our way, innovating indie publishing and bringing members of the cult the best of art and design.
Long live The Cult Of Decay!
This holiday season give the gift of creativity with a year long subscription to Beautiful/Decay. Your loved ones will not only will get a limited edition art print with each book, but they will also receive a beautifully designed, hand numbered book, chock full of inspirational art from the best creative minds.